THE SIMS 4: FIRST DAY IMPRESSIONS!
Here’s are a small sampling from around the web of what people are saying about The Sims 4. And if you’ve played feel free to share your experience — I know there’s still lots of people on the fence who would love to hear from you. :)
SUJIEUN PLAYING THE SIMS 4, TWITCH
If you’re looking for a livestream this was by far my favorite.
WARNING: Graphic Language! But it’s over 7 hours of gameplay. Entertaining commentary and honest reactions from someone who’s played the Sims 3 but is experiencing The Sims 4 for the first time.
The first 40 minutes are CAS if you want to skip to the gameplay. —SujiEun playing The Sims 4 on Elysium Syndicate, Twitch
SHAMANIC, MMO CHAMPION
“I’ve played a couple of hours so far and first impressions are decent. Love the new create a sim, love the build tools, love the colour options on everything. However interactions are fairly limited, have already noticed a bunch of interactions missing with objects and things seem simplified - on the other hand, the game seems to come with a good amount of objects and the graphics look pretty sweet in my opinion. The simplification will probably make it easier for brand new people to get into but feel like it’s a bit too simple for very experienced players.
I can see lot sizes being a major problem after playing a while but that’s not been an issue yet since I’m just starting out. Missing pools a little already Still don’t understand why some things are missing but I do really like the updated graphics and the build mode.” —Shamanic, MMO Champion | Screen Capture
THE SIM SUPPLY, YOUTUBE (EA Endorsed)
I wouldn’t usually include someone who received special early access to The Sims 4 and has been invited by EA to Simming events (because of the conflict of interest) but I liked his videos from the Australian Sims event. (10 Minute House and Split Level)
And I think this video is worthwhile too. James is familiar with the game (having played it twice before) and his video highlights some of the concerns others may have with The Sims 4 without trying to. Like the bug with the trim on the house, limited career choices, Sims passing through each other in the gym, and the seat shuffling and lack of care in the animations while at the bar. (Live mode gameplay starts here if you’re not interested in build mode.)
SPOOKYMUFFIN, MOD THE SIMS
“I’ve played for a few hours this evening and my initial feelings about the game are mixed.
Things I’m enjoying:
- Emotions. Although they only feel like a slightly more advanced version of the moodlets that effect them, they still help you feel like things are having more of an impact on their lives.
- The new buy/build mode. I actually do find it quite intuitive although it did take a while to get used to.
- Sim facial expressions and general animations while performing tasks.
- The aspiration and career goals. The mini goals I’ve seen are pretty intuitive and immersive so far, I actually enjoy the goal based gameplay.
Things I’m unhappy about:
- The clipping. While this isn’t bothering me as much as I thought it would it’s still pretty bad. It’s actually more annoying in light of my next point…
- Their routing is still pretty fucking awful. I’ve had two sims whine about not being able to speak to each other, despite there being enough room for a TS2 or TS3 sim to comfortably move around and interact in. I could accept this if there was no clipping and I could ignore the clipping if their routing wasn’t still borked.
- Babies. Jesus Christ these are awful. They’re soulless, dead eyed things and I hate them. I hate that they all look the same and don’t even have a proper range of skintones. I also really dislike the way they can be aged up to child immediately.
- No toddlers. Enough said.
- No maternity leave. I wish they’d made it so you could chose to take maternity leave, I want the option!
- No way to call in sick to work? Or at least I couldn’t see a way.
- No career/school “activities”. There are no more options to socialise or work on skills while your sim is at school or work. This was one of my favourite things in TS3. No more co-workers or bosses either.
- No dominant or recessive genes. My first family was made with one sim with the darkest natural skin colour, black hair and brown eyes and another with the palest skin, red hair and grey eyes. They had two lightly tanned, brown eyed, red headed children. I honestly thought we might see a proper genetics system return with the loss of the colour wheel. How naïve!
LAZY GAME REVIEWS, TWITTER
"So far… I’m really enjoying it. Still just doing surfacey stuff though.
[The new emotion system] It’s… kind of annoying initially. Need to play more to see how it really works in-depth.
My Sims 4 review is not coming til at least the weekend, actually.” LGR, Twitter
And lastly a few threads that caught my attention:
HOW IS THE BIG PICTURE LOOKING? —Thread at Mod The Sims
A variety of people sharing their first impressions.
SIMS 4 BASE GAME BUG THREAD —Thread at The Sims forums
Help thread started by Crinrict on the official forums.
EA NEVER FIXED THE SEVERE CLIPPING (AND OTHER BUGS) —Thread at The Sims forums
The OP has The Sims 4 screen captures of clipping and glitched babies from a variety of sources. The rest of the thread is what you’d expect.
Have you guys gotten the chance to play yet? What are your thoughts? I’m currently abroad in Europe, so my game won’t be unlocked for another 10 hours!